This script is Copyright (C) 2006-2015 Tenable Network Security, Inc.
The remote Red Hat host is missing one or more security updates.
Updated kernel packages that fix several security issues in the Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 4 kernel are now available.
This security advisory has been rated as having important security
impact by the Red Hat Security Response Team.
The Linux kernel handles the basic functions of the operating system.
These new kernel packages contain fixes for the security issues
described below :
* a flaw in the SCTP support that allowed a local user to cause a
denial of service (crash) with a specific SO_LINGER value.
* a flaw in the hugepage table support that allowed a local user to
cause a denial of service (crash). (CVE-2005-4811, Important)
* a flaw in the mprotect system call that allowed setting write
permission for a read-only attachment of shared memory.
* a flaw in HID0 (en_attn) register handling on PowerPC 970
systems that allowed a local user to cause a denial of service.
(crash) (CVE-2006-4093, Moderate)
* a flaw in the perfmon support of Itanium systems that allowed a
local user to cause a denial of service by consuming all file
descriptors. (CVE-2006-3741, Moderate)
* a flaw in the ATM subsystem. On systems with installed ATM hardware
and configured ATM support, a remote user could cause a denial of
service (panic) by accessing socket buffers memory after freeing them.
* a flaw in the DVB subsystem. On systems with installed DVB hardware
and configured DVB support, a remote user could cause a denial of
service (panic) by sending a ULE SNDU packet with length of 0.
* an information leak in the network subsystem that possibly allowed a
local user to read sensitive data from kernel memory. (CVE-2006-0039,
In addition, two bugfixes for the IPW-2200 wireless driver were
included. The first one ensures that wireless management applications
correctly identify IPW-2200 controlled devices, while the second fix
ensures that DHCP requests using the IPW-2200 operate correctly.
Red Hat would like to thank Olof Johansson, Stephane Eranian and Solar
Designer for reporting issues fixed in this erratum.
All Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 users are advised to upgrade their
kernels to the packages associated with their machine architectures
and configurations as listed in this erratum.
See also :
Update the affected packages.
Risk factor :
High / CVSS Base Score : 7.8
CVSS Temporal Score : 6.8
Public Exploit Available : true